Sunday, July 6, 2008

Independece Day 5K

I had mixed feelings about running this. Am I doing too many, should I concentrate on my 10k work so I can comfortably move into my half marathon training? Should I just give my body a break? No can't do that. I want to run, I want to see if two speed workouts made a difference. I want to do it and not not worry about my time until its over.

I signed up. Cute shirts and all (of course I couldn't wear it... its not pink. another story for another time). It was not chip timed. I'm ok with that. I didn't start too far back so I'd give myself about 4 seconds since there were about 75 people in front of me when I started before I crossed the start line. I was dragging from the beginning. I was tired, i was sore but I wanted to run. I refused to watch my Garmin for Pace because I felt like a slug all ready. I had to stop and tie my shoe again, even though I double knotted it before the race, I was nauseous and just felt like crud. I felt hungry and thirsty and it was all I could think about... FREE PANCAKE BREAKFAST WITH TWO BIG SAUSAGE LINKS AND OJ! I mustard up strength and some positive chants in my head to get me through and I finished better than I had hoped. 27:06 which is 30 seconds better than my Nike's women's fitness 5K a month ago. I need to get out of this little rut of self doubt before it really drags me down.

Overall I am proud of my time. I'm glad that even on an off day when things don't go the way you want them to I still made a good time. I am glad that all the speed work is working and am sad I will be taking a slight break from my running to walk but so glad I'll be walking too. I'm looking forward to those long runs we'll be doing in August and September for the half marathon group. I love to run long as long as I'm in a group, even if I'm by myself in that group, even if I'm the slowest slug they have. I can't wait.

1 comment:

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on the 5K improvement -- 30 seconds is huge!! I have some major issues with self doubt when running short races. Anything under a 9 minute pace feels fast ... must somehow get out of marathon mode!