Thursday, August 12, 2010

Buzz Buzz Zap Zap 6 mile Re-Cap

I had a 5 mile run scheduled for today but decided since I didn't run on Monday since I was busy unloading stuff from camping and didn't run Wednesday because it was the first day of school for the boys I had better add a mile on today. After looking over the training schedule I would also exchange my rest day on Friday for a 3 mile run only putting me behind by less than 2 miles this week. I can't believe how OK I am with that. I'm usually such a stick to the #'s person.

I didn't feel good this morning so I piddled around the house, drank some Chai, did some laundry and housekeeping until I couldn't stand it anymore, changed and ran right out the door. I thought about what my route was going to be and thought I'd run to 5 mile (about 2.5 miles away from my house if I took the levy, then took the road up another half mile before turning around. Miles 1.5-2.5 would be full blown sun along the levy then the same stretch on the way back but there are at least three water fountain stops in parks along the route and various friends in that subdivision by the levy so I thought I would be fine. I got out of my neighborhood and tagged along side another runner for a few blocks before we waved our goodbyes and headed into different directions. I took the levy. I know my friends dog had been bitten by a "buzz-worm" (rattlesnake) along this levy last month so I was very cautious and slowed my running down and removed my earphones so I could listen better. Sure enough at the 2 mile mark up ahead I heard the distinctive rattle so I turned around and high tailed it out of there!

I went back to the neighborhood the other runner was running through then down to the main street and back towards the park to get water. I did a small loop there that was about a 1/4 mile then headed back. I knew I'd be over a little and as I dropped into my neighborhood my watch beeped the 6 mile mark at me. I did keep going to the house giving me a little added .34 miles to my total.

I was amazed at how good I felt. Although it was high 80's when I left and low 90's when I returned I felt good all along. I couldn't believe that most of my miles were faster than 10:30 except the mile where I stopped at the rest room and the mile I stopped at the water fountain. Those were closer to 11 minute miles.

I am just glad I didn't make it any closer to that BUZZ WORM! I did not want to get Zapped! No one else was out there and no one really knew where I was going although I did carry my phone with me today.

When I got home I had 16oz of the strawberry/watermelon recovery GU then took a shower. I did eat something but can't remember what it was. Isn't that awful???  I do remember eating some of Hollywood's buffalo jerky from Trader Joes... super yum. Apparently whatever it was that I ate before picking up the boys from school wasn't that memorable but I did have spaghetti squash, feta cheese with grilled onions, zucchini and bell peppers along with half of a Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat beer for dinner. That was yummy.

2 questions today. Do you ever forget what you ate during the day? AND Do you modify your route to avoid things like traffic at 5pm or around schools at drop off or pick up, or no trails due to snake activity? Where do you live and how do you adjust your favorite running routes when things are out of your control?

No comments: