Sunday, November 22, 2009

Turkey Breast Recipe

FFP killed a turkey the other day when he took Hollywood out for his first Turkey hunt. Hollywood was a little gun shy about pulling the trigger on the .20 gauge so his Papa went ahead and pulled it for him. They came home and cleaned the turkey and breasted it out. A couple days later I thought I had better cook that. I pulled out the dutch oven and cooked this mean and out amazing.
What you need:
Turkey Breast 3-5lbs
Olive oil (2Tbs)
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 large Potatoes (I used russet)
1/2 yellow onion diced
6 cloves of garlic whole
1/2 of a small bag of organic baby carrots
1 granny smith apple cut into large pieces skin on
Italian seasoning to taste

I warmed up the dutch oven on the stove (turned to medium/high) then put the olive oil in. When the oil was warm I put the onions and garlic in the bottom until the onions were translucent and the garlic was soft. I crushed the garlic with my wooden spoon. I salt and peppered then added the turkey Breasts into the pan and let them cook for a couple minutes while I got the veggies together and the apples. I cut the potatoes into pretty large chunks and the apple into smaller chunks. I turned the Turkey and let it brown on that side for 2-3 minutes too. When that was done I added 2-3 cups of chicken broth then added the potatoes, carrots and apples. I let it simmer on medium with the lid on for 1hour 10 minutes. The house smelled amazing and everything was cooked to perfection when I was done (Thermometer on the turkey read 165 on the dot). It was a little Thanksgiving early for us.
The Turkey was tender and flavorful. No gamey wild turkey taste that I was afraid of. The potatoes were a little mushy but that's how I like them. Carrots where good and the kiddos actually ate them. The apples had completely disintegrated into the sauce. It gave the whole dish a sweet and savory taste I don't think would have been nearly as yummy without. So a little one pot wonder that the whole family enjoyed. I hope you do too.

No comments: